Monday, March 26, 2012

Shalom Bayit

Our classroom is a family. As the school year progresses, we watch the children grow closer in understanding each other as individuals similar to our personal families. They become more comfortable, forge closer bonds and learn each other’s quirks. The best part is watching them grow in respect and love for one another. The Jewish value that comes to mind is Shalom Bayit: Peace within the home. “Anywhere people live constitutes a home, whether it be an actual house an apartment, at tent, a trailer…” taken from What’s Jewish about Butterflies. Our classroom is our peaceful home away from home that fills us with love, nourishes our spirit and gives us strength to grow and flourish.
We asked the children to draw pictures of their families. We then asked them to tell a little bit about their family. How do they make you feel? Who is in your family? Why is your family important to you? Here are a few of their responses:
Frankie: “Family means there are a lot of people to get together and also they love each other.” Family is very important. My family has Amy, Noah, Ella and Nana, and Grammy, and Pop Pop and that’s all. They can all live in different places and still be your family.”
Iola Mae: “My family, they love me and want to always keep you safe. My family is Tom, Natalie, and Arthur Elliot. They all make me feel really good.”
Leah: “My family is my mommy and my daddy. They lay with me at bedtime. It makes me feel very good. They always give me hugs and kisses. I have a brother, too. I have a grandma and a grandpa in my family, too.”

No comments:

Post a Comment